Mildura Future Ready
Reviving our social and economic wellbeing through major infrastructure investment
Mildura Future Ready is a plan to secure investment in major infrastructure projects that will diversify our region’s economy and enhance community wellbeing.
This initiative brings together four key projects, presenting them with equal priority for funding and implementation. Together, these projects have the collective capacity to transform our region and future proof it for years to come.
Under the Mildura Future Ready banner, we will activate public support and lobby state and federal governments to invest $88 million in our region.
Why do we need Mildura Future Ready?
- We are the third most socio disadvantaged local government area in Victoria
- Lack of jobs growth
- Low population growth
- High unemployment
- Our economy lacks diversity
- We are missing out on large-scale, sustained investment from state and federal governments
- Isolated with limited public transport connections to the rest of Victoria.
- Lack of investment in tourism product and infrastructure to entice visitation.
Mildura Future Ready Major Projects
Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct
Development of an indoor and outdoor sporting complex in one of Mildura’s residential growth areas has long been a priority for the Mildura community. The proposed precinct would provide a home base for local sport and recreation clubs and bolster our chances to host major sports, entertainment and conferencing events. Plans include a 3000-seat capacity entertainment centre, six-court indoor stadium, squash courts, change rooms, café and alfresco area, AFL-standard oval and second multipurpose sports field.
Mildura Motorsports & Community Precinct
Capitalising on Mildura’s robust motorsports sector, this project will see a major, multipurpose motorsports precinct established at Koorlong. Bringing together the region’s key motor sports clubs and facilities, the 547 hectare precinct would include a sealed 3km road circuit (with potential for expansion), a skid pan, pits and control tower, office facilities, maintenance/wash-down shed, food/beverage facilities, parking and camping site.
Mildura Riverfront Redevelopment – Stage 2
This exciting proposal would further enhance Mildura’s position on the iconic Murray River and make it Victoria’s most significant inland river city. With facilities for locals and visitors alike, the plan builds on the recently completed Stage 1 works which connected Mildura’s CBD to the riverfront.
Stage 2 includes the release of public and privately owned land for community, commercial and residential developments, a tourism centre with visitor information services, café and cultural centre, transport interchange and landscaping developments.
Mildura Passenger Rail Services
Passenger rail services have not been available in Mildura since 1993 and we are the only major regional Victorian centre without a passenger train. The proposed service would run between Mildura and Melbourne, via Maryborough and Ballarat with a travel time of less than seven hours. A train service would reduce the impacts of isolation in our community, particularly for low income earners, the elderly, young people without a licence and people with a disability. It would also provide another way for tourists to visit the district.
Outcomes of Mildura Future Ready
- Once implemented, Mildura Future Ready will create economic stimulus through ongoing jobs that diversify business, tourism and investment opportunities in the Mildura region.
- Attract, host and support regional, national and international events, conventions and concerts.
- Regional hub for motorsports, basketball, volleyball and cricket.
- Attract and host major state and national level sports competitions, showcase matches and carnivals.
- Tourism gateway that showcases our environmental and cultural assets including the river, Indigenous heritage and social diversity.
- Transport interchange connecting NSW, VIC and SA through rail, air and bus transport.
Benefits of Mildura Future Ready
- Improved employment, health and wellbeing outcomes.
- Attract and retain population growth.
- A resilient and growing tourism and transport sector.
- A more active, engaged and connected community.
- Connection and affordable access to the rest of Victoria and beyond.
- Affordable recreational opportunities.
- Increased capacity and demand for residential investment.
- Diversified economy.
- Viable job opportunities.
- Increased awareness of Mildura as a major regional hub for tourism, events and transport connections.
Council is currently undertaking advocacy for Mildura Future Ready and is seeking partnership with State and Federal Governments.
For further information please contact Council on (03) 5018 8100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Fact sheet for each major project is attached below