Detox Your Home
Dispose of everyday household chemicals such as bleach, pesticides, weed killers, cleaning products, cosmetics and cooking oil for FREE, without harming your health or the environment.
Bring your unused and unwanted chemicals to Sustainability Victoria’s next free Detox your Home event, a household chemical drop-off day.
Next drop-off day:
Saturday 16 September 2023 from 9.30am to 12.30pm
15 Scherger Drive, Mildura
Registrations are essential. Click here to register.
Why recycle household chemicals?
Household chemicals can be dangerous. They can harm your family and pets, add extra fuel to a house fire, release toxic fumes and pollute the environment now and into the future. Disposing of these items responsibly will:
- reduce the risk of poisoning, keeping your family and pets safe
- keep toxic chemicals out of waterways, and
- minimise environmental pollution and fire hazards.
Items accepted at Detox your Home
Items labelled Corrosive 8, Oxidizing agent 5.1, Toxic 6.1, Flammable liquid 3 and Flammable solid 4.1.
- Acids and alkalis, including spirit of salt, bleach, vinegar and rust remover, hydrochloric acid
- Aerosol cans, including gas canisters and aerosols (empty cans can be put in your recycling bin)
- Cleaners (ammonia based), including oven, drain, shower and glass cleaners
- Fire extinguishers
- Floor-care products and waxes
- Make up
- Nail polish and remover
- Photographic chemicals
- Glues, including water-based and solvents
Garden and pool
- Insect spray and pesticides
- Pool chemicals, including liquid pool chlorine and pool salts
- Weed killers
- Brake fluid
- Car body filler
- Car wax
- Fuels, including petrol, diesel and kerosene
- Rat poison
- Transmission fluid
- Turps, thinners and paint strippers
Find out more by visiting the Detox Your Home website