Temporary Road Closures

When is a Temporary Road Closure required?

If you are conducting works on or near the road, it is important to ensure that other road users can continue to use the road safely and there are minimal disruptions.

If you are planning to conduct works that will impact vehicles, cyclists, pedestrians, and other road users, the following conditions apply:

  • An advertisement is to be placed in the Public Notice section of the newspaper under the project owner’s logo. You must provide the logo to the appropriate newspaper. You must give at least two (2) days’ notice to motorists and residents of works to be carried out. Eg. Works to be carried out on a Saturday must be advertised in the Thursday edition of the newspaper.
  • A Road Opening Permit must be obtained when works are required to be carried out within the road reserve.
  • Surrounding businesses are to be notified of the disruption with at least two (2) days’ notice, using the Temporary Road Closure Advice Guideline provided within the application. This is to be distributed to surrounding dwellings or businesses involved in any re-routing of traffic.
  • The Temporary Road Closure Advice must be distributed to bus and taxi companies.
  • All emergency services must be notified of the works and altered traffic conditions at least 48 hours prior to the commencement of the works via the following addresses:





  • A Traffic Management Plan must be in place, with all necessary devices according to the relevant Australian Standards (AS 1742.3), ensuring that traffic control measures are in place to instruct and guide road users in the safe navigation of work sites, including persons with stop/slow bats as required.
  • Mildura Rural City Council expects that the applicant will ensure that work carried out on Council roads or within the road reserve meets the relevant OH&S standards.
  • The applicant is responsible for replacing and repairing any damage to road surfaces, nature strips, road furniture and utility services to the appropriate authority’s satisfaction. The applicant is responsible for all costs associated with any damages incurred. 
  • The safety of the public is to be maintained at all times by the applicant.

Apply now and complete the application form(PDF, 986KB)

Please email your completed application and required documents to assetpp@mildura.vic.gov.au. You will receive a response from council within 7 working days.