Permit to Occupy Road Reserve

Permit to allow for occupation of road reserve to allow for building on adjacent land. 
one-time, temporary, non-refundable, non-extendable permit valid up to 3 days to allow for low impact works within Councils Road Reserve where traffic or pedestrians may be affected. For example - Skip bins, access lifts, small work zones, material storage

When do I need a Permit?

An Occupy the Road Reserve Permit is required for any proposed occupation of a road reserve (Nature strip) to allow for building or storage of materials, skip bins or minor work zones for a duration up to three days. The footpath must not be blocked off and maintain a minimum 1.5 meters clear space for pedestrians. Where the is no footpath a minimum 1.5 meter clear space for pedestrians must be maintained. If this is not achievable you must apply for a Hoarding Permit.

Who can apply for an application?

Anyone can apply (Owners, Building Surveyors and Contractors).

A Road Opening Permit or Hoarding Permit may be required where the conditions for an Occupy the Road Reserve Permit may not suffice.

Are there any fees associated with the application? If so, how do I make payment?

Associated fees include a single payment of $74.60. Payments will be made electronically during the application process below.

For Clarification or further information please contact the Asset Preservation Team 03 5018 8100 or email helpldesk:

How do I apply for a Permit?

Apply for Permit to Occupy Road Reserve

Occupy the road reserve conditions

  1. A non-refundable fee must be paid prior to the permit being valid (Fees available on Council website).
  2. Any damage as a result of this permit will be the applicants responsibility. Any damage must be reported to the Asset Preservation Team within 48 hours.
  3. The surface of the footpath, kerb, pits and road must be protected at all times, equipment and fencing should not sit directly on the surface i.e. temporary fencing to have feet and equipment to sit on timber boards or similar.
  4. All works must have necessary signs in accordance with the relevant Australian Standards (AS 1742.3 2009 Traffic Control Devices for Works on Roads).
  5. A Council officer may deem the nature of the works non-compliant and may require the applicant to apply for a Road Opening or Hoarding Permit.
  6. The applicant must make the Permit to Occupy The Road Reserve available for inspection upon request by an authorised officer.
  7. The Permit holder agrees to indemnify and keep indemnified, and to hold harmless, Council, its servants and agents and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses and damages whatsoever, which may be brought or made or claimed against Council arising out of, or in relation to the granting of such permit.
  8. The permit holder will be responsible for the safety of public at all times.
  9. The permit will be valid for 28 days of receipt date.