Applying for a position with us
This information is designed to help you understand our recruitment process and provide you with some tips and ideas to ensure your application and your interview are high quality and relevant.
Our Selection Processes
Estimated timelines for the steps in our recruitment process are:
- Advertising – 2 to 4 weeks (check the closing date carefully)
- Shortlisting – 2 weeks after the closing date
- Interviews – 1 to 2 weeks after shortlisting is completed
- Offer of Employment – 1 to 2 weeks after interviews are completed
Total of approximately 8-10 weeks.
All applicants must have the right to work in Australia.
Council is a child safe organisation and as such, some applicants may be required to hold a Working with Children Check. Additionally, some applicants may also be required to undergo a National Criminal History check and/or medical check as per the requirements of the role.
How to Apply
The primary function of an application is to provide sufficient information about your education, work history and experiences to allow the Selection Panel to decide whether you should be interviewed for the position.
Applicants should prepare the following information:
- A covering letter
- A completed Job Application Form
- A current resume
Addressing the Selection Criteria
Applicants must address the Key Selection Criteria referred to in the Position Description (PD). Selection Criteria are used in the PD to describe the skills, knowledge, qualities, abilities, experience and qualifications needed to successfully undertake the role.
Addressing the Selection Criteria should be done by completing the Job Application Form advertised with the position, and submitted together with your resume and brief covering letter.
- Read the Position Description
- Note the closing date for applications
- Contact us before lodging your application if you have any questions about the position or would like clarification around the duties of the role
- Address the Selection Criteria in the Application Form and detail how your skills, abilities, experience and qualifications meet these criteria
- Ensure you provide a current telephone contact number and email address in your application
- Mildura Rural City Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you’re offered an interview, advise us if you have any accessibility or interview requirements
- Assume that the Selection Panel knows anything about you
- Submit a generic application
- Provide multiple copies or present your application in a binder
- Attach original certificates or references (please send photocopies only as they will not be returned)
- Be deterred if you do not obtain an interview. Consider why you may not have been chosen and then, if necessary, contact Council’s Human Resources unit to request some feedback on your application
Applications must be received by Council no later than 4pm on the day the position closes. Applications received after this time may not be considered. Our preferred method of receiving applications is by email. All emailed applications will be acknowledged.
Email to: email@example.com
Deliver in person to:
Position Reference Number
Mildura Rural City Council
108 Madden Avenue
Position Reference Number
Chief Executive Officer
Mildura Rural City Council
PO Box 105
MILDURA VIC 3502
Please note: Applications sent by post may take approximately 5 business days to be received by Council.
- Each application will be assessed against the Selection Criteria for the position
- Applicants who most closely meet the Criteria will be offered an interview
- You will be contacted by phone if you have been selected for an interview
- You will be provided with details regarding the time, day and location of the interview, as well as the interview format which may include questions, presentations or skills based testing.
- Mildura Rural City Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you’re offered an interview, advise us if you have any accessibility or interview requirements.
- The interview panel will usually consist of the three panel members, including the Manager / Supervisor of the position
- During the interview, panel members will ask questions to determine who will be the best candidate for the position
- You will have an opportunity in the interview to ask questions
- If you have not provided referee details on your resume, be prepared to provide at least 2 referees at the interview
- Referee checks will be conducted for the preferred candidate at the conclusion of all the interviews
- Please contact HR if you are running late, can not attend the interview or wish to withdraw from the process
If you are unsuccessful in obtaining an interview, you will be notified in writing. The preferred method of correspondence is via email. If you have not supplied an email address with your application, then you will receive correspondence via the post.
After the Interview
The successful applicant:
- Will be notified by phone
- Will have the relevant pre-employment checks conducted if required
- Will agree on a start date and a letter of offer will be sent, outlining terms and conditions of employment.
The unsuccessful applicant:
- Will be advised by telephone of the interview panel decision, followed by an email confirming the outcome
- Is able to contact the interview panel members for feedback on their application and interview.
For further assistance regarding employment at Mildura Rural City Council, please contact Human Resources on (03) 5018 8197 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Can I provide you with a resume even if a position is not currently advertised?
No. Council only recruits staff when there is a vacancy. When a position is advertised you will need to prepare an application addressing the selection criteria along with your current resume and covering letter.
How long does Mildura Rural City Council keep my application on file?
Mildura Rural City Council keeps your application on file for 6 months. However, if another position is advertised you will still need to prepare a new application addressing the selection criteria along with your current resume and covering letter.
How do I know if I have been successful in gaining an interview?
Applicants that have been shortlisted for an interview will be contacted by phone to arrange an interview time.
If you are not successful in obtaining an interview you will be notified in writing either by email (if an email address has been supplied) or via post.
Who should I contact if I have any questions about the position?
Contact Human Resources on 5018 8197 or via email email@example.com