Tourism and Services Signage

If you're a local tourist-oriented service or business, you can apply for tourist attraction and services signage. These signs play a crucial role in the Mildura region by helping visitors find their way and discover tourist spots, precincts, businesses, and community facilities.

To get approval for signage, the process follows the 'Tourist Signing Guidelines' developed by Tourism Victoria and VicRoads in collaboration with local Councils. To be eligible, your business must primarily focus on tourism.

To help you determine eligibility and complete the application, there are Tourism Signage Guidelines available. Council will handle your application and may forward it to the VicRoads Regional Signing Officer if needed. You can expect to hear back from Council within 14 days of submitting your application.

If you have any questions about eligibility, design, or wording for your proposal, it's recommended to reach out to Council's Future Planning Unit for assistance. 

Who can apply?

  • Have tourism as a core business activity;
  • Provide a tourism experience in addition to, or as part of, any commercial/retail activity;
  • Have all relevant State and local government licences and approvals to operate as a tourist attraction;
  • Be open to the public without prior booking during the attraction’s normal opening hours;
  • Be open on weekends and at least three other days of the week, plus public and school holidays;
  • Be open for a minimum of seven hours per day on the days the attraction is open;
  • Be listed on the database of the nearest accredited Visitor Information Centre , including a listing on the Visit Mildura webpage;
  • Promote the location and clear directions to the attraction to visitors from outside the local area;
  • Be appropriately signed within the property line so that it is easily identifiable by passing motorists;

Additional to the Essential Criteria above is the:

  • Specific Criteria for Accommodation Signing – page 4 of the Tourism Signage Guidelines
  • Specific Criteria for Restaurant Signing – page 5 of the Tourism Signage Guidelines

How to apply

Step 1.Take a look at the Tourism Signage Guidelines

Familiarise yourself with the eligibility criteria outlined in Council's Tourism Signage Guidelines before requesting tourism signage.

Step 2.Schedule a meeting with the Future Planning Unit to discuss your application

Give Council's Future Planning Unit a call at 03 5018 8100 to discuss your application before you submit it.

Step 3.Allow enough time for the application process

Step 4.Collect the required supporting documentation

Ensure you have the following documents ready to submit along with your application:

  • Map(s) showing the proposed signage location(s)
  • Photograph(s) of existing signs at the proposed location(s)
  • Proof of on-site signage at your business
  • Copies of relevant licenses and approvals (e.g. town planning permit, Murray Regional Tourism registration, business registration, permits)
  • Examples of promotional materials indicating a sustained marketing plan for your business, including opening times (e.g., brochure, website, recent advertising)
  • Evidence of prior consultation with the Future Planning Unit
  • Record of visitor numbers (if available)
  • Copy of public liability insurance certificate with a minimum coverage of $10,000,000 with Mildura Rural City Council listed as an interested party (for non-permanent signs only).

Step 5.Complete the online application

Once you have all the necessary documentation prepared, you can start filling out the online application form.

Step 6.We'll review your application

We'll assess your initial application within 2 business days of submission. Please note that submitting your application doesn't guarantee approval. Council may request additional information to confirm your eligibility.



Frequently Asked Questions

Click to reveal the answer to a range of Frequently Asked Questions below.


Financial responsibility for all tourist attraction and services signing rests with the applicant, noting the following exceptions:

  • Signing of road authority assets, such as rest areas, are funded by the road authority.
  • Public facility signs (e.g., toilets, emergency medical services, etc) are funded by the road authority.

The costs involved include:

  • The purchase of the sign(s) – estimated as $302.50 excl. GST for an Advance Tourist Attraction sign (G11-1) and $220 excl. GST for a fingerboard sign (G11-4).
  • All associated installation, maintenance and removal costs (unless otherwise agreed).

The tourism signage guidelines gives detailed guidance on the eligibility of business to qualify for tourism signage. Your business must be a tourism related business and meet all essential criteria in order for an application to be assessed as eligible.

Upon receipt of your application, Council will review your application within 2 business days. Additional requirements around signage design, location approvals, and installation means that you should allow up to 3 months for your sign to be installed at the appropriate location.


To discuss an existing tourism sign or a new/pending application, give Council’s Strategic Projects Officer in Future Planning

team a call on 03 5018 8100.


If an application for Tourism Signage is approved, a permit will be issued to the applicant for a period of five years in accordance with the conditions detailed herein.

  • Applicant must be a member of the local tourism association in Mildura Rural City Council

  • All signs shall comply with:

    VicRoads standard specification sections 714 and 860 for construction and installation and shall satisfy VicRoads technical requirements for legend style and size and other sign-face elements Tourism Victoria Tourism Signage Guidelines Mildura Rural City Council Tourism Signage Guidelines.

  • Signs shall be installed at the defined location(s) in accordance with VicRoads Worksite Traffic Management Code of Practice and normal safe working practices, having regard at all times for the safety of road users and property.

  • The applicant shall bear all costs in relation to the design, manufacture, installation and maintenance of the signs and such signs shall remain the full responsibility of the applicant.

  • The applicant shall ensure that the sign(s) are maintained in a safe and clean condition to the satisfaction of the road authority and shall indemnify the road authority and hold the road authority blameless for any loss or damage or injury that may result from the installation or presence or detachment of the signs or any of their mountings or fittings.

  • The road authority reserves the right to cancel this approval and remove without compensation any sign which is not installed or maintained to the road authority’s satisfaction or is in any way considered by the road authority to be a safety hazard. In the event the related business closes or changes in character or operation significantly from the time of approval issue, approval cancellation and sign removal may result without compensation.

  • The applicant shall, at no time, alter the approved sign face design, without referral to the authorised officer of the road authority.

  • The applicant shall immediately notify the relevant road authority to arrange for the removal of signs, at the sign owners’ expense, in the event of the business closing or no longer being involved in the tourism industry.

  • Failure to install any sign to the road authority’s satisfaction within 90 days of the date of this permit shall cause the approval to lapse.

  • Owners of temporary signs must adhere strictly to the special conditions of approval. Failure to do so may result in the withdrawal of the permit and removal of the sign.

  • Tourism signage is for directional purposes only and not for promotional and/or advertising purposes. Tourism road signage should be used to give immediate notice of an attraction or service to facilitate safe access and should be supported with an integrated marketing program (e.g., brochures, website, advertising and on-site business signage).

The road authority reserves the right to aggregate signage if appropriate.