Climate change has the potential to affect our community, the economy and our environment adversely.
Victoria is already experiencing climate change impacts, increased and longer fire seasons and extreme fire warning days, and becoming hotter and drier in recent years.
The significant climate change impacts projected for the Mallee region include:
- Increased maximum and minimum temperatures
- More hot days and heatwaves
- Less rainfall in winter and spring
- More intense rainfall events
- Harsher and longer fire seasons
Mallee Climate Projections 2019 (updated 19/02/2020) (PDF, 1.5 MB)
On 26 February 2020, Mildura Rural City Council became the 30th Local Government in Victoria, and the 94th in Australia, to declare a climate emergency.
Council declared we are in a state of climate change emergency requiring urgent action by all levels of government and passed a motion to:
- Write to all State and Federal parliamentarians whose offices lie within the MRCC municipal boundaries, and to the Prime Minister, the federal Opposition Leader and the Victorian Premier, expressing our position on the climate emergency (COMPLETED);
- Obtain current baseline greenhouse gas emission levels on municipal services, operations and infrastructure, and implement and report on a strategy to reduce these emissions including an analysis of our capacity to reach a target of zero-net emissions by 2050 (strategy implementation underway); and
- Conduct community consultation to develop community owned and activated climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies (consultation underway).
Climate Emergency Community Advisory Group
Expressions of Interest are currently open for community members to join the Climate Emergency Community Advisory Group.
The group is responsible for guiding the development, facilitation and implementation of a Climate Emergency Plan containing community-owned climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies. The group is made up of seven community members and two Council officers.
To help ensure a broad range of community issues are considered by the group, Council will preference representatives from areas including health, social inclusion and youth.
Expressions of Interest close 30 June 2022.
Expression of Interest form
Please contact Jay Smith, Environmental Sustainability Coordinator, for further information on (03) 5018 8100 or email email@example.com