Have your say on Community Climate Response Plan
Published on 12 September 2023
Sunraysia residents are invited to provide their feedback on our region’s first ever Community Climate Response Plan.
The draft plan focuses on 30 community actions across themes including health, waste, farming, education, natural environment and urban environment, all aimed at mitigating or adapting to climate change.
Councillor for Environment and Sustainability Jason Modica said the actions were developed in close consultation with the community throughout 2022.
“I’d like to thank our community for their input so far, which was collected through a series of workshops and a survey last year. This has been invaluable in shaping the draft plan,” Cr Modica said.
“These actions, which include short, medium and long-term goals, involve partnerships with groups including farming representative bodies, businesses, community groups and the education and health sectors.”
Developed by Council’s Climate Emergency Community Advisory Group, the draft plan contains actions including:
- Advocating for affordable home heating/cooling solutions and solar power.
- Establishing a Repair Café where volunteers help repair items to reduce landfill waste.
- Encouraging farm electrification through Environmental Upgrade Finance.
- Providing educational opportunities through public art, murals, and labelled bins at events.
- Developing and promoting community-led initiatives to control and manage invasive species, protecting native ecosystems.
- Encouraging home and business owners to install LED lighting and energy-efficient appliances.
The draft Community Climate Response Plan 2023-2028 is available to view and provide comment on at https://yoursay.mildura.vic.gov.au/community-climate-response-plan
Feedback can be provided until Friday, 6 October.