Australia Day celebration heads to Henderson Park
Published on 22 January 2023
A large crowd is expected to help mark Mildura Rural City Council’s annual Australia Day celebrations this Thursday.
All the fun is scheduled to get under way from 8:30am at Henderson Park, with a free barbecue breakfast and coffee available.
Council has also extended an invitation to 32 conferees to become new citizens to our region.
Our newest citizens hail from numerous corners of the world including Philippines, Jordan, United Kingdom, Denmark, Taiwan, India, Philippines, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Ireland.
Mildura Mayor Liam Wood encouraged the community to come along and help welcome our region’s newest citizens.
“Our Australia Day celebrations are a great time for our community to come together and reflect on what it means to be a part of our community, and our wonderful country,” he said.
“Those in attendance will enjoy live entertainment by local duo Toni & Nev, with the Mildura Lions Club to offer a barbecue brekkie.
“I certainly encourage our community to bring along a chair or picnic rug and enjoy the morning.”
Council will also announce the recipients of the annual Australia Day Awards.
Cr Wood said unveiling of the 2023 Australia Day Award winners is one of the many highlights of the day.
“Council’s annual Australia Day Awards celebrate the achievements and contributions of individuals, community organisations and groups in our region,” he said.
“These prestigious awards are one of the highest honours Council can bestow to publicly acknowledge local heroes, whose dedication and contributions may otherwise go unnoticed.”
Winners will be announced across three categories from a large field of nominees:
Nominees for Citizen of the Year
• Peter Saunders
• Sister Patricia Fitzgibbon
• Zach Stanbrough
• Nathan Carnie
• Tim Pongraz
• Lynise Sherlock
• Michael Craig
• Susan Watts
Nominees for Young Citizen of the Year
• Lily Adams
• Heather Olofsson
• Dominic Eggmolesse-Smith
• Tyler Carter
• Nicholas Coe
• Molly Kalms
• Conor Pall
• Kaid McGlashan
• Tayden Halliday
• Mikayla Jones
• Nell Banks-Purcell
Nominees for Community Event/Project of the Year
• Red Cliffs Centenary Committee - 2022 Red Cliffs Centenary Celebrations
• Mildura Swimming Club - 2022 Victorian Country Long Course Swimming Championship
• North West Victorian Motorcycle Club - 2022 Hattah Desert Race
• Mildura Show Society - 2022 National Ag Mildura Show
Local community groups and clubs across the region are also hosting events to mark the day.
- Irymple: Henshilwood Recreation Reserve, 7.30am-9.30am
- Merbein: Kenny Park, 8am-11am
- Red Cliffs: Barclay Square, 8am-10.30am
- Colignan: Colignan Community Recreation Reserve (Mudhut), 9am-12pm
- Murrayville: Murrayville Swimming Pool, 12.30pm-2pm
- Millewa: Johansen Rec Reserve Cullulleraine (RSL building), 8am-11am
- Ouyen: Council Service Centre lawns (71 Oke Street), 7.30am-9.30am
- Underbool: Underbool Swimming Pool, 5pm-7pm
- Walpeup: Walpeup Wayside Stop, 8.30am-10am
Residents are encouraged to check weather conditions prior to the day and cover up to protect against mosquitos who remain in high numbers across our region due to the recent Murray River Flood event.
For more information visit www.mildura.vic.gov.au/AusDay or https://eventsmildura.com.au/event/17413226-a/2023-australia-day#/