Still time to provide feedback on 2023-24 Draft Budget
Published on 31 May 2023
The Sunraysia community still has time to provide feedback on Mildura Rural City Council’s 2023-24 Draft Budget.
The $149 million Draft Budget was released earlier this month and is open for public feedback until 5pm this Friday, 2 June.
Key features of the budget include a $41.5 million capital works program to improve and upgrade community assets:
- $12.43 million on buildings and building improvements
- $8.73 million on roads
- $6.93 million on drainage
- $3.22 million on parks, open spaces and streetscapes
- $1.76 million on recreation, leisure and community facilities.
A snapshot of specific projects include:
- Red Cliffs Integrated Early Years facility (dependent on matching funding)
- Nowingi Place Adventure Park
- Nichols point Recreation Reserve sports facility
- Upgrade to the Murrayville Kindergarten
- Lighting upgrade at Henshilwood Recreation Reserve
Mildura Mayor Liam Wood encouraged the community to view the document and provide their feedback.
“This has been one of our organisation’s more challenging budgets in the face of ever-increasing inflation and resulting higher costs of materials and services,” Cr Wood said.
“Like many other local government areas, we’ve needed to balance these cost pressures with continuing to provide the services our community rightly expects and deserves, and I think this budget does that.”
An example of the impact of inflation over the past 12 months, which currently sits at 7%, is a 28% spike in the cost to Council of delivering services to the community. Despite these factors, Council’s Draft Budget does not seek a rate increase over the Victorian Government’s Fair Go Rate Cap of 3.5%.
Other features of the draft budget include more than $12 million for youth, children and family services, $3.8 million for initiatives to ensure the safety, health and wellbeing of our community and $2.9 for library services.
Residents can view and provide feedback on the Draft Budget by visiting yoursay.mildura.vic.gov.au/Budget23-24.