All meetings of Council and Delegated Committees are conducted in accordance with the Governance Rules made under Part 3, Section 60 of the Local Government Act 2020.
The purpose of the Governance Rules is to:
- Ensure Council and Delegated Committees consider and make decisions on any matter fairly and on their merits;
- Institute decision making processes to ensure that any person whose rights will be directly affected by a decision of the Council is entitled to communicate their views and have their interests considered;
- Regulate proceedings at all Ordinary and Unscheduled Meetings of Council, and Meetings of Delegated Committees;
- Detail the form and availability of Meeting records;
- Regulate proceedings for the election of Mayor and Deputy Mayor, and chairpersons of Delegated Committees;
- Outline the process to be followed to determine the appointment of an Acting Mayor;
- Provide for the administration of Council powers and functions;
- Outline the procedures to be applied by Council during the election period;
- Outline the procedures for the disclosure of a conflict of interest by a Councillor or a member of a Delegated Committee; and
- Outline the procedures for the disclosure of a conflict of interest by Council staff when providing information in respect of a matter within the meaning of Section 126(1) of the Local Government Act 2020 (the Act).