Asset Protection Permit

The safeguarding of public assets from potential harm resulting from construction activities falls under the jurisdiction of Mildura Rural City Council, as outlined in Local Law 5.

How to apply

All works, including the delivery of materials and/or equipment, must not commence until an Asset Protection permit has been issued. Should works commence prior to the issue of an Asset Protection permit, you may incur penalties under Local Law 5 and you will be liable for all damages found at inspection.

Applying for your asset protection permit online is the quickest way to receive your permit. Apply online to receive your permit via email in approximately 7-10 business days.

Asset Protection Permit application

Asset-Protection-Permit-Terms-and-Conditions.pdf(PDF, 141KB)

If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Asset Preservation Helpdesk

What happens next?

If approved:

  • You will receive a signed permit in approximately 7-10 business days.
  • Applications not received via online portal will take approximately 10-15 business days.

The above turnaround times are from receipt of all correct documentation and payment. Your application is not approved until you receive a signed Asset Protection Permit. Making payment does not constitute a valid permit. You must not start any works until you have received the permit.

Your permit is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

When must you apply for permit?

The following circumstances require an Asset Protection Permit:

  • Construction of a dwelling (including detached dwelling, unit, townhouses, apartment, dependent persons unit)
  • Demolition or removal of a structure
  • Construction/installation of a swimming pool or spa
  • Commercial/industrial warehouse/retail development with cost of works above $20,000
  • Any works that require a building permit with the cost of works above $20,000

If the works you are planning are not listed above, please email an enquiry to where an Asset Protection Officer will assess the proposed works and determine whether an Asset Protection Permit is required.

*Please note – Access to Council reserves is strictly limited. All requests are to be reviewed by the Asset Protection team.

Building works that do not require a permit:

  • Works of a low risk nature with cost of works less than $20,000
  • Works are located in an area zoned Farming Zone (FZ) under the Mildura Planning Scheme 
  • Restumping/underpinning of a dwelling/unit
  • Installation of a pool or spa safety barrier
  • Office fit-out or tenancy fit-out

*If you think the works may damage Council assets, please undertake your own risk assessment and apply for a permit.

Council Assets

A Council asset is a structure that has a public service function and may require management and upkeep. They include but are not limited to.

  • Roads
  • Footpaths
  • Shared Paths
  • Nature strips
  • Drainage
  • Kerb and channels
  • Signs
  • Car parks
  • Street trees
  • Park reserves
  • Sealed and unsealed roads.

Advice of Completion of Building Works

The applicant is liable for any damages until an Advice of Completion of Building Works form has been submitted and an inspection has been carried out by an Authorised Officer. The applicant will receive notification from the Council advising finalisation of the permit.

Advice of Completion of Building Works submission 

Notification of Damage

You can notify us of any damage caused by building works at any stage of construction. Damage should be reported within 24 hours upon becoming aware.

If damages are noted in the post works inspection, you will be issued with a Notice to Comply. Any repairs must follow Council’s Standard Drawings.

Notification of Damage submission