By the late 1800s the Mildura Riverfront had changed from a pristine waterfront to a commercial and industrial centre. Goods were constantly being carted up and down stream to the small but expanding river communities. The Mildura Wharf opened way to new enterprises. These included an engineering workshop, brickworks, timber and sawmill and flour mill.
The Powerhouse was built in c.1919-1935 (there is conflicting information as to the exact date). The Powerhouse operated through to the 1950’s. In the years following the decommissioning the Powerhouse building has been used by various community groups including the Sunraysia Field Naturalists, the Country Women's Association and local theatre groups.
Red Cliffs Musical Society (Musical Society Mildura) and Mildura Little Theatre (Mildura Theatre Company) leased the Power House officially from 1971 through until 2019, a total of 48 years. This space was used as both a rehearsal space and clubrooms and also saw many public performances for both theatre companies held there.
While it is not on any official heritage registers, the Powerhouse is considered to have technical heritage significance. It is the last tangible evidence of the important industrial area linked with the Wharf and railway which was the focus of the beginning of modern Mildura. It has aesthetic significance as an example of robust industrial architecture, rare in Mildura.