Road Opening Permit

A road opening permit is required for builders, contractors/road managers or public utilities to carry out excavation within road reserves.

Where works are within the road reserve

  • A Traffic Management Plan (TMP) might be required to obtain a permit.
  • Works undertaken must be as per Council Standards.

A road opening permit is required for works such as:

  • Construction of a new crossover or widening of an existing
  • Water tapping – connecting a house to the water main.
  • Stormwater connections – plumber/drainer connecting house downpipes to council stormwater pipes or pits.
  • Sewerage connection – connecting a house to main sewerage lines.
  • Roadside excavation constructing service road or slip lane.
  • Laying of stormwater pipes to existing drainage.
  • Laying/Connection to water mains.
  • Public utility requiring a consent permit.
  • General / other works within the road reserve (Gardening works are exempt).

*It will be the property owners’ responsibility to construct and maintain the crossover and the council’s responsibility will be to maintain the section of the footpath within a crossover.

*Approval is required when any excavation is being completed within a road reserve (from the building line on one side of the street to the building line on the other side).


Application requirements 

Permits can be obtained by:

  • Home owners
  • Builders
  • Contractors
  • Public utility managers

Insurance cover 

The contractor/persons conducting the works must be insured with Public Liability Insurance with a minimum cover of $10million.

Supporting documents 

The following documents must also be supplied with an application:

  •  A copy of your Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance Policy with a minimum cover amount of $10million.
  • Traffic Management Plan if required.
  • Detailed fully dimensioned plans or endorsed planning permit plans.
  • Planning permit number (if related to a planning permit)

What are detailed fully dimensioned plans?

  • Site plan nomination location of hoardings etc. with dimensions (a neat hand drawn plan is acceptable).
  • Location of kerbs, building line, nearest intersecting street, street furniture, signs, power poles, traffic lights, litter bins, bus stops, street trees etc.
  • Details of the type of hoarding proposed (i.e. sections, elevations, structural details).
  • Signage and any safety measures (i.e. ramps for pedestrians) that will be used while the proposed work is carried out.

How long should I expect for an approval?

  • Council will review your application within 5 working days.
  • Works must not commence prior to consent being received.
  • Conducting works in a road reserve without Council consent is a violation of Local Law and Road Management Act and may result in penalties.

If there are changes to the works from the original application, you must notify Council before commencing any works.

How do I apply for a Permit?

Apply for a Road Opening Permit 

Road Opening Permit Conditions

  1. Work shall not commence until a permit is approved.
  2. Applications will be assessed within 5 business days on receipt of a complete application.
  3. The associated application fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable (Fees available on Council website).
  4. All works must have necessary signs in accordance with the relevant Australian Standards (AS 1742.3 2009 Traffic Control Devices for Works on Roads). Council may require the applicant to submit a Traffic Management Plan drawn by a professional traffic consultant for review.
  5. Excavation must be backfilled as soon as practicable, with all road and footpath mounded 20mm above the existing surface with approved material until reinstatement. The site must be left clean and tidy at all times.
  6. Aftercare signage must be in place until works have been reinstated.
  7. All works must be carried out in accordance with Council’s standard drawings, which can be obtained via the Council website.
  8. Where trees are on the proposed excavation alignment, approval must be obtained from Council’s Parks Services Team prior to commencing works on (03) 5018 8100.
  9. Clearing of grasses, scrub and native vegetation within the road reserve shall be subject to approval from Council’s Environmental Sustainability Team on (03) 5018 8100.
  10. The applicant must make the Road Opening Permit available for inspection upon request by an authorised officer.
  11. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to ensure that locations of all services are known and the appropriate precautions required by the relevant authorities are obeyed. For information on other services contact Dial Before You Dig on 1100.
  12. The applicant must arrange an inspection with an Authorised Officer, with a minimum 24 hours notice.
  13. The applicant must within 7 days of completing any works, including any reinstatement works, notify the Asset Preservation Team as to the works that have been completed.
  14. The applicant agrees to indemnify and keep indemnified, and to hold harmless, Council, its servants and agents and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses and damages whatsoever, which may be brought or made or claimed against Council arising out of, or in relation to the granting of such permit.
  15. The applicant will be responsible for the safety of public at all times.
  16. The permit will be valid for 12 months of receipt date.