These one-off payments are available to help people with immediate and essential needs during natural disaster-related emergencies, like emergency shelter, food, clothing or personal items.
In most cases, the payment is NOT available for:
- damage caused by construction or building works
- business losses
- motor vehicle repairs or towing
- compensation for the loss of income
- paying insurance excess
- loss resulting from power outages
Emergency relief assistance is based on a fixed amount for each member of your household (adults and children). There is a maximum amount for each household.
Only one application should be made per household, however:
- if more than one family is living within the same house, each family should apply separately for payment.
- if you live in shared or communal housing, each adult should apply separately.
This assistance will be paid after the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH) has checked your eligibility. Once approved, the payment will reach your bank account in three to five business days.
Call 1800 226 226 for more information.