Disability Access & Support
Council is committed to making our region accessible and inclusive for residents and visitors. We do this through a program called Rural Access, which supports and empowers people to live independently. It also aims to educate the wider community about how we can consider the needs and requirements of people with a disability to ensure they have access to important services and facilities.
Rural Access program
Working with local community groups, organisations, service providers and businesses, this program aims to:
- Help people and organisations to work together more effectively
- Improve community understanding about the needs and aspirations of people with a disability through community education
- Develop and implement projects which respond to needs and community priorities
- Ensure the needs of people with a disability are the focus of community planning
- Support service providers to assist people with a disability to live the sort of life they choose
- Develop easy ways for people to access the information they need about services, community activities and issues
Disability Access Advisory Committee
Established in 2001, this group is made up of community representatives who advise Council on disability issues. The Committee meets monthly to address barriers to access and inclusion for people with a disability.
The Disability Access Advisory Committee Terms of Reference can be downloaded by clicking the link below.
Mildura CBD Disability Access Map
This Council produced map is designed to assist people with a disability to navigate around Mildura's central business district. The map includes a wide range of information, including:
- Accessible routes of travel
- Toilet facilities
- Accessible car parking locations
- ATM locations
- Public phones
- Taxi ranks
- Hearing Loops
- Wheelchair/Scooter/Gopher recharge points
For more information about the map, contact Council's Rural Access Worker phone (03) 5018 8240.
More support for those with a disability is available through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). For more information contact 1800 800 110 or visit www.ndis.gov.au