Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct
The Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct will, for the first time, provide a home for the six indoor sporting user groups in the district, who generate the equivalent of an estimated 200,000 venue visitations each year. The business case for this facility shows it will generate more than 200 jobs and provide a venue for major events including concerts and regional and national sporting events, making the economic case for this project very strong. It will also accommodate the need for community open space in the Mildura South area, which is one of the district’s main growth corridors. This initiative is part of the Mildura Future Ready strategy, and will be located on the corner of Deakin Avenue and Sixteenth Street.
Stage 1 of the Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct is jointly funded by:
|The Australian Government
|The Victorian Government
|Mildura Rural City Council
|Total Project Budget:
Stage 1 of the project includes:
- A two-storey main stadium. The ground floor will comprise six courts, change rooms, foyer, reception, administration offices, public amenities, storage and spectator seating, café/kiosk. The second floor will house function rooms, social/club rooms, public amenities and storage.
- AFL-standard oval with a cricket turf wicket
- A separate standalone pavilion featuring coach and timekeepers box, change rooms for umpires and players, public amenity, storage for outdoor sports and a canteen/kiosk.
- External amenities, including car parking, drainage, pathways and landscaping
View the Stage 1 Site and Floor Plans(PDF, 535KB)
- Construction of the Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct commenced in late 2019.
- The first sod was turned by Federal Member for Mallee Dr Anne Webster in October 2019. Also in attendance was Mildura Rural City Mayor Cr Simon Clemence, other Councillors and representatives of future user groups.
- In early 2020, contractors completed all demolition and site preparation works.
- Commencement of civil works, including footing excavation and the installation of in-ground services began in April 2020.
- Preparations works on the site's AFL-standard outdoor sporting oval commenced in April 2020.
- In May 2020, erection of the steel framework for the main stadium commenced (see below).
- Work commenced on the pavilion, coaches box and outdoor change rooms in June 2020, while concrete works at the main stadium were also completed.
- By June 2020, more than 70 percent of the man-hours required to construct the Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct had been completed by local tradespeople.
Construction time-lapse - June 2020
Check out six weeks worth of construction in less than 30 seconds!
Full Project Snapshot
Future Stages include:
- Squash Courts
- Second Multipurpose sports field
- Outdoor Beach Volleyball
- Outdoor Netball Courts (In May 2020, South Mildura Sporting Club, Mildura Netball Association and Sunraysia Football Netball League announced a community contribution of $365,000 to construct outdoor netball courts on site. This is dependent on Council successfully securing $500,000 through the Victorian Government's Local Sports Infrastructure Fund Female Friendly Facilities program.)