Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct
The Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct will, for the first time, provide a central home for a number of indoor sporting user groups in the district. These groups generate the equivalent of an estimated 200,000 venue visitations each year. The business case for this facility shows it will provide a venue for major events including concerts and regional and national sporting events, making the economic case for this project very strong. It will also accommodate the need for community open space and passive leisure activities in the Mildura South area, which is one of the district’s main residential growth corridors. The Precinct will also include a café to cater for users of the sporting facilities and local residents. This initiative is part of the Mildura Future Ready strategy, and is currently being constructed on the corner of Deakin Avenue and Sixteenth Street.
Stage 1 of the Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct is jointly funded by:
|The Australian Government
|The Victorian Government
|Mildura Rural City Council
|Community Contribution (Mildura Netball Association, South
Mildura Sporting Club and Sunraysia Football Netball League
|Cricket Australia/Cricket Victoria
|Total Project Budget:
Stage 1 of the project includes:
- A two-storey main stadium. The ground floor will comprise six courts, change rooms, foyer, reception, administration offices, public amenities, storage and spectator seating, café/kiosk. The second floor will house function rooms, social/club rooms, public amenities and storage.
- AFL-standard oval with a cricket turf wicket
- Four outdoor netball lights and associated lighting
- A separate standalone pavilion featuring coach and timekeepers box, change rooms for umpires and players, public amenity, storage for outdoor sports and a canteen/kiosk.
- External amenities, including car parking, drainage, pathways and landscaping
View Stage 1 site plans here(PDF, 833KB)
- Construction of the Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct commenced in late 2019.
- The first sod was turned by Federal Member for Mallee Dr Anne Webster in October 2019. Also in attendance was Mildura Rural City Mayor Cr Simon Clemence, other Councillors and representatives of future user groups.
- In early 2020, contractors completed all demolition and site preparation works.
- Commencement of civil works, including footing excavation and the installation of in-ground services began in April 2020.
- Preparations works on the site's AFL-standard outdoor sporting oval commenced in April 2020.
- In May 2020, erection of the steel framework for the main stadium commenced (see below).
- Work commenced on the pavilion, coaches box and outdoor change rooms in June 2020, while concrete works at the main stadium were also completed.
- By June 2020, more than 70 percent of the man-hours required to construct the Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct had been completed by local tradespeople.
Works had progressed on various components of the project by July 2020, including full erection of steel structures for the stadium court hall and structural work for the foyer and the pavilion for outdoor sports. Pre-cast panel installation and blockwork for walls has also commenced, as had car park form work and curbing.
In August 2020, Main Hall concrete pours to level two were completed, as was the stadium and pavilion roofing. Installation of carpark ashphalt also commenced, as did the installation of the inground services to the AFL standard oval. External wall cladding to the stadium and window installation also commenced.
Construction time-lapse - June 2020
Check out six weeks worth of construction in less than 30 seconds!
Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct - from the air! - August 2020
Full Project Snapshot
Future Stages include:
- Squash Courts
- Second Multipurpose sports field
- Outdoor Beach Volleyball