The Mildura Landfill is the only facility in the Mildura Rural City Council area licenced to accept asbestos waste.
Asbestos disposal at Mildura Landfill
- It is the responsibility of the customer to contact Mildura Landfill before transporting asbestos.
- Small bundles of asbestos should be packaged in at least three layers of 0.2mm thick polythene (black plastic) sheeting, and completely sealed with adhesive tape.
- Small bundles are preferred to allow for easy unloading without damaging the sheeting.
- Domestic customers can only dispose no more than 10m² of asbestos at Mildura Landfill. A licence is required to undertake work involving more than 10m² of asbestos and must be carried out by a licensed asbestos removal contractor.
Click the below button to request a time to dispose of Asbestos/Low Level Contaminated Soil (Cat C) at Mildura Landfill
- DO NOT dispose of asbestos in your kerbside rubbish or recycling bin or a rubbish skip.
- DO NOT dump asbestos waste illegally as it is a health and safety threat to the community and the environment.
- DO NOT recycle or reuse asbestos waste.
- DO NOT leave asbestos waste out beside your kerbside bins for collection.
What is asbestos?
Asbestos is the name given to a group of naturally occurring minerals found in rock formations.
What is asbestos used for?
Asbestos fibres are strong, heat resistant and have insulating properties. Clumps of mined asbestos can be broken down in to loose fibres or fibre bundles, and can be mixed with other materials, such as cement, to produce a variety of building products.
Up to 90% of the asbestos produced in or imported into Australia was used for the manufacture of building products, especially asbestos cement materials before the late 1980s.
What to do if you find asbestos
Unlicensed removal of asbestos can be legally carried out by homeowners, however, some jobs are best left to the experts. It is recommended that you engage the services of a licensed asbestos removal contractor.
Who to contact
Use the Yellow Pages to search for a licenced asbestos removal contractor or visit www.asebestos.vic.gov.au to find a list of licenced asbestos removalists in your area.
You should also contact the Mildura Landfill on (03) 5018 8475 for information about asbestos disposal and the fees and charges for its disposal.