Mildura Planning Scheme Review 2018
The project is within its final stage of consultation, which includes public exhibition of the Draft Report and encouraging community members to provide formal written submissions to recommendations.
We encourage your formal written submissions regarding the matters raised in the Draft Report and any additional matters pertaining to the Mildura Planning Scheme Review.
In providing your personal information you are permitting Council to add your name to its mailing list in order to notify you in conjunction with this project only. Written feedback/comments provided are considered public documents and issues/matters raised therein (including authorship) may be reported to Council in an open Council meeting agenda. Enquiries regarding confidential feedback may be directed to the Coordinator Strategic Planning on (03) 5018 8419.
Written submissions must be sent to: Mr Peter Douglas, Coordinator Strategic Planning, Mildura Rural City Council, PO Box 105, Mildura VIC 3502 or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Feedback/comments supplying a contact name and postal address will receive a written response
FEEDBACK FROM PREVIOUS CONSULTATION ROUND
An initial round of consultation was undertaken between 27 November 2017 and 12 January 2018 to identify key issues and concerns with the Mildura Planning Scheme. This round of consultation consisted of four workshops with stakeholders and the opportunity to provide feedback.
A great variety of issues were raised through this stage of the project, including:
- The establishment of budget accommodation outside the urban area to support seasonal workers.
- A desire to re-examine issues related to the settlement strategy for Mildura, particularly property issues pertaining to the Mildura Older Irrigation Area (MOIA).
- Issues related to renewable energy, including household solar generation and the location of commercial-scale facilities.
- Policy and planning provisions relating to Benetook Avenue and the truck bypass.
- Updates and improvements to the environmental policies within the planning scheme.
- A desire to examine policies relating to retail locations and support for investment in local industries and job creation.
- Monitoring and control of the weed Cumbungi at Lake Cullulleraine, and creation of an exemption within the planning scheme.
- The zoning of the Hattah township.
- The establishment of a Merbein South Growth Area.
- Various requests for zoning and overlay changes relating to specific properties.
- Recommendations can be found on the project bulletin (pdf download) below.
- The recommendations resulting from Round 1 of consultation were tested in Round 2 and detailed in the Draft Report (pdf download below).
WHAT IS A PLANNING SCHEME?
The Mildura Planning Scheme sets out the long-term vision for Mildura
Rural City Council in respect to land use and sets objectives and
policies around social, economic and environmental change.
The Planning Scheme regulates the use and development of land
through planning provisions, which require residents and developers
to gain planning permission for some activities, such as building, subdividing land or removing vegetation.
WHY REVIEW THE PLANNING SCHEME?
The Planning and Environment Act 1987 requires Council to review its Planning Scheme every four years to make sure it is up-to-date, delivers state planning policy, provides clear directions for planning decisions and is user-friendly.
It also needs to consider how the municipality has changed since the previous review of the planning scheme in 2014 , and to address how it is likely to change in the next 20 years.
A copy of the previous, 2014 Mildura Planning Scheme Review can be found on Council’s website here http://www.mildura.vic.gov.au/Services/Planning-Building/Strategic-Planning/Mildura-Planning-Scheme/Reference-Documents
The first step in the review will be to commission research into the existing and emerging issues for planning in Mildura, which is currently underway.
If you would like to discuss the Mildura Planning Scheme Review or inspect a copy of the planning scheme, please visit us at the:
Deakin Avenue Service Centre, 76 Deakin Avenue, Mildura VIC
Or alternatively, you can contact: Phoebe Wilson | Strategic Planner
To access the Mildura Planning Scheme online please visit: http://planningschemes.dpcd.vic.gov.au/schemes/mildura
A Victorian Government website to learn about the planning system in Victoria and find helpful documentation to assist you in understanding it.
Sign up for project updates
The community will have many chances to have their say during the project, at events, via surveys and online feedback forms. Please register your interest by providing your details via email to email@example.com , and specifically stating if you would like to be involved in the upcoming workshops.
Consultation Round 1
27 November 2017 to 12 January 2018
Consultation Round 2
7 September 2018 to 1 October 2018
Public Exhibition of Final Report
16 November 2018 to 14 December 2018
Review of Submissions