Emergencies can happen at any time and can present a real challenge for the unprepared.
You can prepare for an emergency by storing items you may need during an emergency event such as candles, torches, first aid kits, canned food etc in a safe and accessible location. All members of your family should know where these items are stored and their purpose.
Know how and when to turn off your gas, electricity and water. Please see the Emergency Contact Information page for a list of emergency services numbers.
During a significant emergency, Council may set up an Emergency Relief Centre. In the event of an emergency, you may be instructed to evacuate or your house may become unsafe.
Situations you may face in an Emergency
- You may be separated when the Emergency happens, for example children may be at school and you might be at work;
- Normal channels of communication may be working intermittently or not at all;
- Power supplies may be cut;
- You may be confronted with dangerous risk factors, such as storm or fire, that immediately threaten your safety;
- Information about the status of the emergency may be limited, particularly in the early stages;
- You or others may be injured.
The following resources may assist you in being prepared for an emergency: