Councils role in Emergency Management
As the closest level of government to the community, Councils play a vital role in Victoria’s emergency management arrangements, in particular for the greater Sunraysia area.
What is Councils role?
Council has a number of key roles is emergency management:
- Implement state initiated preventative strategies, such as planning and building codes, planning for floods, health risks and fire management;
- Undertake local risk management and emergency planning;
- Develop and implement community education and awareness programs, involving the community (where possible) in emergency management planning;
- Incorporate risk reduction strategies into local safety programs;
- Provide equipment support to emergency services agencies;
- Manage and support community recovery programs, policies and strategies;
- Manage community needs in all emergency management processes; and
- Provide support and recovery assistance to those affected by emergencies in the community