Building Permits, Services & Land Manager's Consent


All building and demolition works undertaken in Victoria must meet specific standards.
These standards cover health, safety, amenity and energy efficiency matters and it is Council’s responsibility to ensure these are met.

When do you need a building permit?

Building Permits are required for most building works including:

  • Alterations and extensions to dwellings
  • New dwellings
  • Signage
  • Swimming pools
  • Sheds
  • Fences and retaining walls (in some instances)

You should always check before starting any building works to find out if a permit is required.

Planning permits

It is important not to confuse building permits with planning permits. Building permits relate to the method of construction of a building or development, whereas planning permits relate to using or developing a particular piece of land to be used or developed in a certain way.

Often you will require both a planning permit and a building permit, however depending on the circumstances, you may require one, or the other, or neither.

Contact Council to check what you require for your project before starting any works.

Asset protection permits

If you require a building permit for your project, then you will also need to obtain an Asset Protection Permit. This permit is required to safeguard Council's assets such as footpaths, pit lids, kerbs and gutters, and allows for any damage to be repaired. The process also allows for siting controls such as rubbish and builder's refuse, as well as any soil, rubbish or concrete in gutters which could enter storm water drains.

Land Manager's Consent

All works on Council owned, managed or controlled land and buildings require consent of the "Land Manager" - being Council.

Consent is requested via an Application for Land Manager's Consent Form by the applicant prior to works taking place. If consent is issued it may be with various conditions and/or permits that will be explained in the reply letter.