Before you can access services from the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) you will be required to participate in an Assessment of your needs.

An Assessment collects information required in order to determine eligibility to receive a service and to identify your needs and/ or that of your carer. 

An Assessment officer will contact you to arrange an appropriate time for the Assessment to occur in your home or via the telephone in certain circumstances.

What happens during an Assessment?

An Assessment occurs face to face in your own home or via the telephone. You can invite a family member, friend or advocate to be present.

The Assessment Officer will ask you questions about:

  • any support you are currently receiving
  • if you have any health concerns
  • how you are managing with activities around the home
  • any future goals you may have
  • some questions relating to your safety in the home.

They will consider services that will allow you to remain living at home and in the community safely.

They help you explore ways to live independently and remain an active member of your community.

If other needs are identified, then the Assessment Officer will refer you to other service providers that can meet your needs.

How can I request an assessment?

You can register yourself for a CHSP (65 & over) Home Support Assessment by contacting My Aged Care (free call) on 1800 200422, or by visiting to complete an online referral form.

The My Aged Care website provides information about and access to Australian Government–funded aged care services.

It includes information to help: