Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP)
Council delivers the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) which is funded by the Commonwealth Government. The program includes a number of different services for individuals who are 65 years and over and over 50 for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and require support with daily tasks in order to remain living independently at home.
Commonwealth Home Support Program services include:
Domestic Assistance is designed to help people retain their independence and continue living in their own homes for as long as possible. The services are intended to enhance clients’ abilities and independence.
Clients can access assistance with essential housekeeping tasks such as
- vacuuming floors
- mopping floors
- making beds
- washing linen and clothes
- cleaning bathrooms and toilets
- preparing meals
- essential unassisted shopping
The service aims to help people live independently at home and in the community by providing assistance with tasks they would normally do for themselves but are unable to perform unaided such as showering, dressing, grooming and toileting. This can also include tasks like light meal preparations, linen changes and personal washing.
Social Support Group
Planned Activity Groups offer a range of social activities. The program aims to enhance the social, emotional and physical wellbeing of participants in a pleasant group environment as well as providing respite care and support for carers.
- Gentle chair based exercises – Living Longer Living Stronger program
- Warm water exercises – Living Longer Living Stronger program
The Property Maintenance service ensures clients can maintain a safe and secure home environment. Property maintenance staff evaluate the extent of work required. Materials required for tasks to be carried out are provided/purchased by the client. Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Changing light globes
- Securing door and window latches
- Installation of ramps and rails
- Pruning limited to once off garden clearing and support in developing a low maintenance garden
- Cleaning of fans, light fittings
- Installation of smoke detectors and batteries
- Minor repairs around the home
- Take garden rubbish to tip (30 minutes of service time is dedicated to rubbish and landfill duties)
Priority will be given to urgent repairs.
Flexible Respite is available for people who care for an older frail person or an older person with a disability who cannot be left alone. The service enables a carer to take a break from their caring duties. It also provides the person being cared for with a break without their usual carer.
Respite can be provided regularly or occasionally as arranged.
Eligibility for CHSP Services
You may be eligible for CHSP services if:
- You are an older frail person;
- You are an older person with a disability;
- You care for an older frail, person or a person with a disability;
- You are assessed as in need of support to retain your independence and quality of life.
In some circumstances, short term, time-limited services may be provided to customers who are ineligible for ongoing support.
To find out if you eligible visit www.myagedcare.gov.au or free call 1800 200 422.
Once the referral has been received, a staff member will contact you to ask some initial questions in order to arrange a suitable time for an assessment.