Business and Residential Support

There are number of services, grants and programs available to help residents and businesses impacted by riverine flood waters.

Flood Recovery Hotline

Call the Flood Recovery Hotline on 1800 560 760 for help with:

  • a range of clean-up services
  • finding somewhere to stay
  • financial, mental health and other support
  • The recovery hotline is open from 7.30 am to 7.30 pm every day. Press 9 for an interpreter.

Emergency relief payment

These one-off payments are available to help people with immediate and essential needs during natural disaster-related emergencies, like emergency shelter, food, clothing or personal items.

In most cases, the payment is NOT available for:

  • damage caused by construction or building works
  • business losses
  • motor vehicle repairs or towing
  • compensation for the loss of income
  • paying insurance excess
  • loss resulting from power outages

Emergency relief assistance is based on a fixed amount for each member of your household (adults and children). There is a maximum amount for each household.

Only one application should be made per household, however:

  • If more than one family is living within the same house, each family should apply separately for payment.
  • If you live in shared or communal housing, each adult should apply separately.

This assistance will be paid after the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH) has checked your eligibility. Once approved, the payment will reach your bank account in three to five business days.

Visit for more information

Small Business Immediate Flood Relief Grant

One-off $5,000 payment that can be used to cover expenses arising from damage caused from flooding to s place of business, business assets, stock or equipment, such as:

  • qualified tradespeople to conduct safety inspections, repair premises and internal fittings
  • equipment, materials and services needed for clean-up
  • removal and disposal of debris, damaged materials or damaged stock
  • equipment, stock and materials essential for immediately resuming operations

To be eligible, a business must:

  • hold an active ABN on and from 14 October 2022
  • be registered for GST on and from 14 October 2022
  • have incurred significant direct damage from flooding to the place of business, business assets, stock or equipment
  • not have received support under the Primary Producer Flood Relief Program or the Community Sport Emergency Flood Assistance Program

Visit for Program Guidelines and to apply. Call 132 215 if you have any questions. This program closes on 14 January 2023

Business Relief Service

Free service one-on-one support from a local business relief adviser available via telephone and on the ground to:

  • guide business owners through the available Commonwealth, state and local supports
  • help businesses assess impacts, manage insurance, landlord issues
  • form strategies for recovery

The Business Relief Service can be accessed via submitting an online form on the Business Victoria website or contacting the Business Victoria hotline on 132 215. The hotline operates seven days a week from 7.30am to 7.30pm.

Primary Producer Immediate Flood Relief Program

Primary Producer Clean-Up Relief Grants: $75,000 grants to cover the cost of the clean-up and get businesses up and running again.

Rural Landholder Grants: Up to $25,000 grants to cover the costs of disaster impacts for small-scale producers.

Primary Producer Concessional Loans: Up to $250,000 to restore or replace damaged equipment and infrastructure or cover short-term business expenses.

Primary Producer Transport Subsidies: Up to $15,000 to support the transport of emergency fodder or stock drinking water, and the movement of livestock

See for details. Call 1800 260 425 if you have any questions.

Community Sport Emergency Flood Assistance Program

$5,000 one-off grants to assist Victorian sport and active recreation organisations in the replacement of playing, injury prevention and first aid equipment, canteen and clubroom items and maintenance equipment.

Visit for more information. Program close 13 January 2023.

Re-establishment assistance

You can get financial help to return home if:

  • You cannot live in your home because it is damaged or destroyed OR
  • You cannot access your home for more than 7 days because of flooding
  • This is called "re-establishment assistance". It is only available for your principal place of residence.

Re-establishment assistance can help to pay for:

  • clean-up
  • emergency accommodation
  • repairs
  • rebuilding your home
  • replacing some damaged contents

Eligibility for this payment depends on your household income. You can only get it if you:

  • do not have building (home) insurance or contents insurance AND
  • are experiencing financial hardship

Call the Flood Recovery Hotline on 1800 560 760 to find out if you can get financial help to return home. The hotline can also help you learn about other help available.

Visit for more information

Disaster Recovery Allowance

Up to 13 weeks payment to help eligible individuals losing income as a direct result floods.

Available to eligible individuals that work or live in an affected Local Government Area, lost income as a direct result of the floods, and earn less than the average Australian weekly income in the weeks after this income loss.

Apply through Services Australia


Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment

A lump sum payment to help individuals significantly affected by floods. It is not for minor damage or inconvenience. Its purpose is to help with major damage to your property or other assets.

Available to individuals that are in a Local Government Area that has been declared for a disaster.

If you’re eligible you’ll get:

  • $1000 per adult
  • $400 for each child younger than 16

Apply through Services Australia


Small Business Debt Helpline

National support line staffed by specialist small business financial counsellors – immediate assistance and referral for ongoing support. Call 1800 413 828.

Financial Counselling

Financial Counselling Victoria: In person or phone-based support for sole traders, business partners, personal and family finances and dealing with financial hardship and debt. Visit to find your nearest service.

Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS) Victoria West: Help for farmers and regional small business in Western Victoria. Visit or call 1300 735 578.

AgBiz Assist: Free rural and small business financial counselling. Visit or call 1300 834 775.

National Debt Helpline: For immediate assistance and/or to be connected to your nearest service contact 1800 007 007.

Donations and volunteering

GIVIT: Item requests and donations to those impacted by Victoria’s flooding.

Australian Red Cross: Donate to on-ground emergency response teams in flood-affected areas.

Disaster Relief Australia: Volunteer organisation providing expert and civilian disaster relief.

Community Enterprise Foundation: Donation fund providing support to a range of local charitable groups in flood-affected areas.

Victorian Farmers Federation Disaster Relief Fund: Donate to farmers impacted by flooding.

Wildlife Victoria October Flood Appeal 2022: Donate directly to Wildlife Victoria’s Emergency Rescue Service.

Emerging Minds - Supporting your child after a flood

Tools and resources to help families cope with flood events

Visit for more information