Flood Clean-up and Recovery Support

Find out how to dispose of flood waste and assess your property once it’s safe to return. We've also provided several other resources at the bottom of the page which may be useful.

Flood waste collection

Eligible residents are able to have flood waste collected free-of-charge from their address by utilising Emergency Recovery Victoria's Street Debris Removal program. 

To register your address, call the Emergency Recovery Victoria hotline number 1800 560 760.

Once you have registered your address, licenced contractors will come to your property and remove any flood waste.

This service is only available for identified flood-impacted properties.

Waste can include:

  • carpets, whitegoods, damaged fixtures and furniture and other household goods
  • cooking equipment and business-related materials and goods
  • liquids and rubbish material (bagged, boxed or contained)
  • food and organic waste (contained)

Waste and debris that will not be removed includes:

  • animal carcasses
  • cars, boats, caravans and rainwater tanks over 2,000 litres
  • known hazardous materials and carcinogens

What you need to do:

  • clear out your house or property
  • separate eligible items

Flood waste disposal

If your property or business was affected by flood water or had items such as trees and other debris left behind, you can dispose of this waste free-of-charge at the Mildura Landfill.

Flood waste could include:

  • carpets, whitegoods, damaged fixtures and furniture and other household goods
  • cooking equipment and business-related materials and goods
  • food and organic waste (contained)
  • sandbags (used/contaminated)

Simply call our Customer Service Centre on 5018 8100 and provide your details ahead of arriving at the landfill, which will ensure our staff are ready to assist you once you arrive.

Mildura Landfill is the only facility in the Mildura Rural City Council area licenced to accept asbestos waste. If you need to dispose of asbestos, bookings need to be made. For more information visit https://www.mildura.vic.gov.au/Services/Waste-Management/Asbestos-Soil-Disposal 

Rural properties

Farming properties impacted by flood water may result in significant quantities of green waste.

While the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) encourages on-farm management of this waste, property owners also have the option of disposing of this green waste at the Mildura Landfill.

For property owners considering disposing of this waste at landfill please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 5018 8100

More information about managing farm green waste is available here.


Sandbags that come into contact with flood water are deemed to be contaminated and must be disposed of at the Mildura Landfill. There will be no charge for this. Always wear gloves when handling used sandbags and other flood-related waste.

Sandbags that have NOT come into contact with flood water can either be emptied onto gardens, retained for future use, or taken to the Mildura Landfill, however there will be a charge if taken to landfill as this is not classified as flood waste.

Before taking sandbags to the Mildura Landfill, please call our Customer Service Centre on 5018 8100 and provide your details. This will ensure our landfill staff are ready to help you when you arrive.

Make sure to separate clean and contaminated sandbags.


Free structural assessments

Home owners, small businesses and not-for-profit property owners can register for a free all-hazard structural assessment if their property was damaged by the 2022 flood event.

This assessment can be used to identify any hazards, such as asbestos, giving guidance as to how the structure needs to be managed.

To register your interest call Emergency Recovery Victoria’s Flood Response Hotline on 1800 560 760, or register online here.

Once you have registered, Emergency Recovery Victoria will contact you and process your registration and then book an assessment time.


Managing residual floodwater

As Murray River flooding continues to recede in our region, landowners may notice residual water in some low-lying or flat areas. While stagnant water will eventually evaporate or flow into waterways, there may be situations where this is either not possible, happening too slowly, or potentially poses other challenges.

Lower Murray Water is the local Victorian water authority in our region and can be contacted on 1800 808 830 or at www.lmw.vic.gov.au to understand the rules that apply, seek advice and to consider your options.