Travel exemption to prepare your property for Summer season

With summer approaching, landowners are encouraged to prepare their property for an emergency. This includes fire prevention and flood mitigation efforts.

If you live in regional Victoria you can travel to a second property, holiday home or business in regional Victoria to prepare it for an emergency.

If you live in metropolitan Melbourne and own property in regional Victoria, travel to your second property for emergency preparedness should be a last resort. You are strongly encouraged to use local contractors and businesses to prepare your second property to avoid travelling.  

If you are unable to use contractors to prepare your property on your behalf, you can only travel from metropolitan Melbourne to your regional property to prepare it for an emergency if you have been granted a letter of support from your local council.

If you hold a letter of support from your council, you must remember that all restrictions travel with you. This means that if you live in metropolitan Melbourne and your property is in regional Victoria then the restrictions applying to metropolitan Melbourne travel with you.

You must also comply with any additional restrictions your local council places on your letter of support. Please note that travel to your property is not permitted until you have received your letter of approval.

Application to maintain property ahead of fire season


Can council email the travel exemption letter?
Council can ask the applicant how they wish to receive the letter. Email is the most expedient and should be sent in PDF format.


Who can travel within Victoria to undertake works on a property before or after an emergency?
The owner of the property and their immediate household members, or if the owner is unable to travel, a nominated representative.


Do property owners need to undertake the preparedness works themselves?
No, it is at the discretion of the owner whether they do the works themselves, request a nominated representative to do the work, or engage a contractor. The use of local contractors is strongly encouraged.


Can property owners or the nominated representatives attend shops for supplies to undertake the preparation (e.g. tools)?
When traveling any person must comply with the restrictions in the place of their primary residence.
Any person from regional Victoria travelling to an additional property in metropolitan Melbourne or a restricted area must also comply with the restrictions in place.
In some cases this means the owner or the nominated representative will not be able to visit local businesses to purchase supplies. They should travel with the tools and equipment they need. The use of local contractors is strongly encouraged.


Can property owners engage a contractor from metropolitan Melbourne to do the works?
Yes, if the works are covered under ‘permitted work’ within the metropolitan Melbourne directions set by the Chief Health Officer.


How long can the owner remain at their property?
For a maximum of 72 hours. This can be extended by 24 hours at the discretion of the council where the owner is required to travel large distances to attend the property.


Can an owner or the nominated representative attend their property multiple times to undertake preparedness works?
Yes, if required the owner can apply for additional permits.