Community Relief Service

If you need extra assistance due to COVID-19 the following services can help:

Mandatory isolation

If you are in mandatory isolation or unable to leave your home due to a Chief Health Officer directive, such as being a primary contact and awaiting test results. The following two options can assist;

Mildura Rural City Council is able to assist with access to food relief and other essential items including prescription medications. Access this service by submitting an Online Request for Community Relief Service or calling 03 5018 8100 between 9am and 6pm.

The Coronavirus hotline is able to provide assistance by calling 1800 675 398 and selecting option four to access food relief or social support through the Australian Red Cross.

General food relief support

Sunraysia Mallee Ethnic Communities Council with support from the State Government, is one of five regional food hubs who aim to distribute much needed food relief to community organisations and the wider public.

This service can be accessed here. Request Emergency Food Relief.

Emergency housing and homeless support

Haven Home, Safe provides housing support and other services. Contact them directly for assistance.

Address 143A Lime Avenue, Mildura  
Phone 1300 428 364 between 10am to midday and 1pm to 4pm Monday to Friday
After hours emergencies 1800 825 955